Living a Better Life® (from the editor's desk)
by Michelle Jones
Stop! Before you go out and spend hundreds of dollars (or thousands) on Christmas presents, please read through our favorite list of inexpensive gift ideas. This column has been a favorite among our readers for many years. We hope it will help you find that perfect gift for everyone on your list, while spending less!
* * *
These frugal gifts are great for any occasion all throughout the year, including Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, end-of-school teacher gifts and more. They also make great hostess gifts during the holidays.
There are hundreds of great gifts that can be purchased or made by hand for under $10, gifts that are both thoughtful and frugal at the same time. Put them in an inexpensive basket or wrap them with a pretty ribbon and you'll truly have a beautiful gift. Without breaking the bank!
I know you've probably heard it before but it's really true that you don't have to spend a lot of money to find that perfect gift for someone. Just be sure to put some time and thought into it and your gift will be well received...
Our loved ones probably appreciate our time and love more than anything.
Here's a few of my favorite inexpensive gift ideas...
1. Gourmet coffees with a personal coffee cup
2. Pound of pistachios
3. Child's artwork, framed
4. Journal with special inscription inside
5. Teacup with box of herbal tea
6. Deck of cards and book of card game rules
7. Homemade cocoa mix in a pretty jar
8. Collage of special photos
9. Gel pens and pretty stationary
10. Bottle of sparkling cider
11. Home baked bread, include recipe
12. Disposable camera
13. Basket filled with deli cheese and fruit
14. Craft supplies
15. Holiday serving bowl or platter
16. Pretty basket filled with special jams or mustards
17. Decorative napkins and napkin rings
18. Fancy chocolate bars tied with a ribbon
19. Gardening gloves with a live plant, or flower seeds
20. Photo album, hand decorated is even better
21. Makeup tote with compact mirror
22. Prepaid photo developing
23. Homemade cookie mix with instructions for baking
24. Variety of bread mixes
25. Special coffee cup filled with candy
26. Fancy magazines tied together with a pretty ribbon
27. Gourmet popcorn and flavored oil
28. Locally made barbeque or steak sauce with basting brush
29. Pancake or waffle mix and a bottle of real maple syrup
30. Movie theater gift certificates
31. Board games
32. Jar of sourwood or pure honey with biscuit mix
33. Note cards and stamps
34. Picture frames, buy them on sale!
35. Specialty cookbook
36. Pretty glass jar filled with candy
37. Collectible sports cards
38. Muffin mixes with muffin pan
39. Books, there are still many for under $10
40. Set of dish towels and dish cloths
41. Nail polish kit
42. Holiday night shirt
43. Basket filled with kitchen gadgets
44. Movie rental gift certificates
45. Pepper mill and fresh peppercorns
46. Handwritten copies of your favorite recipes
47. For the pets, gourmet dog biscuits or cat treats
48. Baking pans and supplies
49. Prepaid long distance phone cards
50. Small clock or radio
51. Pretty box for keepsakes
52. Colorful Post-It notepads
53. Address book
54. Christmas ornaments
56. Blank CDs with jewel cases or CD case
57. Sewing supplies
58. Flashlight with batteries
59. Favorite quote embroidered on a nice handkerchief
60. Makeup brush set
61. Expensive socks, still under $10
62. Special soaps and bath puff
63. And don't forget my absolute favorite... home baked cookies!
I hope you will be inspired by this list, after all, it's not the amount of money you spend for a gift that matters the most, but that you cared enough to give something special.
* * *
Copyright © 2001-2013 by Michelle Jones. All rights reserved.
You are welcome to link to this page, please do NOT copy, rewrite, or reprint.
Thank you! :o)