Submitted by Kathleen Wilson
Now that the holidays are over, and the decorations are put away, you may be wondering what now? Remember that Spring is still several months away, and you're best bet for keeping your rooms inviting during the dead of winter is to add warmth and comfort.
* * *
And if you are like me and don't have a lot of extra cash laying around after the holiday crunch, use these ideas to make major changes in your rooms, for minor cash.
1. Rearrange. Create more intimate furniture arrangements, or just try something new! Move seating to create areas where people can easily talk, or group them around the fireplace or other focal point.
2. Use candles! Candles are relatively inexpensive, and should not be saved just for special occasions! Group them together, combine them with plants, or set them in front of a mirror. If you feel using them too often will cramp your budget, set aside one meal a week where you ceremoniously use them, such as Sunday dinner.
3. Place throw blankets casually over chairs and sofas for your loved ones to cuddle up in. A great way to buy these inexpensively is to check your fabric store for clearance sales on polar fleece. Buy 1 to 1 ½ yards for each throw, then use scissors to cut fringe on the two ends. This fabric doesn't fray, comes in a wide array of patterns and solids, and does not need to be hemmed or sewn! I bought enough for several and paid less than five dollars for each throw! Oh, and did I mention it is extremely soft and warm?
4. Set out well read books on end tables to encourage those in your home to use those throws, and who can not remember a fond winter's day cuddled up in a warm sofa with your favorite novel? (Oh, and you might want to stock your pantry with cocoa and tea, just in case.)
5. Layer your fabrics! Add one or two topper fabrics to your tables, layer several towels over each other in your bath and kitchen, add a valance to your window treatments. Remember this doesn't have to be expensive, use leftover fabric from your other projects, visit your local thrift store, or use unused quilts, coverlets, sheets, tablecloths, and cloth napkins from your linen closet.
All of these ideas are quick, easy, and inexpensive, and can be used throughout your rooms. So take a few hours and see how little changes can create cozy comfort in your own home.
* * *
Return to Christmas on a Budget
Copyright © 2003 by Kathleen Wilson. All rights reserved.