Submitted by MA of Ontario, Canada
"Antique Crackle Santa"
Here's a quick (and cheap!) ornament I've made. I love this ornament because it's a Santa, which I collect, and it's very antique looking.
To make, you will need:
- a copyright free image (I used #143 from the 'Full-Color Decorative Christmas Illustrations' book published by Dover - ISBN#0-486-99967-X)
- a small amount of polyester stuffing
- crackle paint (I used Weathered Wood Crackling Medium by DecoArt, but any crackling product will work)
- a brush
- your computer printer and plain paper
- sewing machine (optional, as these can be sewn by hand quite easily)
- small amount of water-based wood stain (I used Craftsman's Blend by J.W.etc. in a Honey tone)
- small amount of cording for the hanger
How to make:
I began by printing several Santa images onto plain white paper, leaving at least an inch of space between each image. Cut around the images, leaving at least a half inch of paper around each. Sew, starting at the bottom, around until you reach the top. Add the hanger, and continue to sew around, leaving a small gap at the bottom. Poke a little bit of stuffing into the ornament (not too much or the paper will rip!). Finish sewing the bottom and trim around the ornament close to the stitching.
Next, coat the ornament lightly with your crackling product and let dry. Coat back side too. Brush lightly with a coat of water-based stain and allow to dry. Depending on the products you use, you may find you would like to finish off with a coat of water-base varnish. Don't forget to sign and date your ornament on the back!
Hope that covers it! These are a lot of fun to make and look very antique on your tree.
Return to 1st Annual Homemade Christmas Ornament Contest
Frugal Living Index
Copyright © 2007 by M.A. All rights reserved.
Can't find the page you're looking for?
Free Membership and Ebook Bonus Gifts:
Sign up today and receive 2 ebooks (Dealing with Debt and 101 Coupon Tips) with your Free Membership. The Ebook gifts will be included in your Welcome letter! :o)
"It's not about being able to spend more money.
It's about enjoying and managing what you already have... BETTER!"
- Michelle Jones, Founder of BetterBudgeting
Living a Better Life® is a registered trademark and Better Budgeting a trademark of BetterBudgeting.com, BetterBudgeting.org, and it's parent company, Blue Ridge Publishing, Inc., PO Box 795, Powder Springs, GA 30127.